Wabi sabi is a Japanese aesthetic that celebrates the beauty of imperfection and the natural passage of time. This style has been gaining popularity in interior design as it offers a calm and grounding atmosphere. If you’re an interior designer looking to create a wabi sabi space, antique pottery is the perfect element to include. Here are five tips for incorporating antique pottery into your designs to achieve a wabi sabi vibe:
1. Choose the right pottery: When selecting antique pottery, look for pieces that have a natural and organic feel, such as those with rough textures, asymmetrical shapes, or visible signs of age and wear. Pieces made of unglazed clay, such as used antique kitchen bowls or containers, are particularly well-suited for creating a wabi sabi atmosphere.
2. Mix and match: Don’t be afraid to mix and match different types of antique pottery. Wabi sabi is all about embracing imperfection and creating a harmonious, yet eclectic, look. So, feel free to combine different types of pottery, such as bowls and vases of varying sizes and styles, to create a unique and eye-catching display.
3. Display pottery creatively: Instead of simply placing the pottery on a shelf or table, try displaying it in unexpected ways. Hang pieces from the ceiling, stack them in interesting formations, or even use them as vases for flowers. At the Silk Road Collection we even make lamps from various pottery! The key is to create a display that showcases the pottery in a creative and dynamic way.
4. Use pottery as a focal point: Antique pottery can be used as a focal point in a room, drawing the eye and creating a sense of balance. Consider placing a large piece on a pedestal or in a prominent spot, such as on a mantel or coffee table.
5. Surround pottery with natural elements: To enhance the wabi sabi feel of a space, surround the antique pottery with natural elements such as wood, stone, and plants. This will help to create a harmonious and grounding atmosphere that reinforces the beauty of imperfection and the natural world.
Incorporating antique pottery into a wabi sabi-style space is a simple and effective way to create a calm and grounding atmosphere. By following these five tips, you can bring a touch of ancient beauty into your interior design projects.
Need help in selecting the right pottery for your project? At The Silk Road Collection we do not only source antique pottery along the ancient Silk Roads, but also love to be your partner to help you meet your project and budget needs. Get into contact with us and tell us about your upcoming project as an interior designer, your search for new collections or purchasing activities for your business.
See you soon at the Silk Road Collection!